Thursday, October 30, 2008

In the Kitchen- I am Making Vanilla Extract

Now I've done it! I have taken my herbal knowledge into the kitchen! What fun and how yummy smelling the vanilla extract I am concocting is! I bought vanilla beans from The Organic Vanilla Bean Company. They are super yummy smelling, reasonable cost, and nice beans. I then put 16 beans, scored lengthwise and then chopped into 6-8 pieces per bean in my 16 ounce amber bottle and added vodka. Label it! Shake several times a day and store in the cupboard. I will let it sit for at least 6 weeks before I begin to pour it out into smaller batches. For this batch, I used 6 Tahitian and 10 Bourbon vanilla beans. I was reading that if you use less than 6 beans per cup of alcohol then it isn't technically vanilla extract, I am making it not quite double fold, but boy does it smell heavenly!

On the new moon, I also began some catnip and fennel glycerite with equal parts catnip and fennel seeds to equal just under 4 ounces, 11 ounces of distilled water, and 1 pint of glycerin. I like to mix my glycerin and water before I pour it into the jar so it is thoroughly mixed. I also like to mix my dry herbs together before I pour the liquids over them. I put it in a quart mason jar and shake several times per day. I am also making some Complete Bone and Tissue glycerin extract and some Complete Bone and Tissue oil. Some of it I will turn into ointment and the rest I will use for oil for things like sore backs and burns etc.

2 comments:

The Nielsen Clan said...

So how did the vanilla extract come out? We want to make some and just wondered if you had any after-the-fact tips and suggestions to share. :)
Thanks!

Raspberry Leaf said...

It turned out fabulous. My advice is if you plan to give it as gifts, be sure to make more than you need! I had to make a second batch because I didn't make enough to start with and I wanted some too!