Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Gingerbread cookies

I made gingerbread cookies tonight... that didn't contain dairy, eggs, or flour. They were so tasty.

Before you make these, you will have to sprout some wheat for a couple of days until the tails are half the length of the grain. Rinse and drain well. Then dry the grain- I like to use my Excalibur dehydrator for this because I can dehydrate at 95 degrees and maintain the life of the grains. You can use a low low heat oven with the door cracked though. I usually will sprout 3-4 mason jars of wheat at a time and dry it all at the same time and then store the dried grain in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I then grind the amount of grain I need when I need it. You will also need to make 1 flax "egg" by grinding up flax seeds to make 1 T ground flax. Bring 2 T of water to a boil. Stir in the flax and simmer for 3 minutes. Let cool while you proceed with the other directions. Add your flax egg at the right time.


This is the recipe I used:
Gingerbread cutouts from better homes and gardens


1/2 cup shortening (use non-hydrogenated like Earth Balance but better yet would be virgin coconut oil)

1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 cup molasses
1 flax "egg"
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups sprouted grain "flour"


In a mixing bowl beat shortening. Add dry stuff except flour. Beat molasses, egg and vinegar in. Then add as much flour slowly and stir in remainder. Divide dough, cover and chill for 3 hours. Grease cookie sheet, on "floured" surface roll dough out and cut up. 375* for 5 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack.

Enjoy... We decorated them with raisins.

4 comments:

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

Howdy! I followed your link from the Natural LDS Women yahoo group. My name's Sally. I'm totally intrigued by the "flax egg" idea. How does it act like egg and where did you learn about this!? I love flax; I put about 2-3 T in each green smoothie I make. I know it gets all gelatinous, but had no idea it would act like egg when baked.

Also, I've wondered about sprouting wheat and grinding it for flour. I don't have a dehydrator, which has put me off, since the main reason to create sprouted wheat flour would be for the enzymes, which are easily destroyed by heat. Have you done this with just an oven, nor known anyone who has? Is it worth trying it?

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Sally B

Raspberry Leaf said...

Sorry it took SO long for me to get back to this...

Anyway, it acts like an egg in baked goods because it "glues" the item together.

As for sprouted wheat flour- generally, the main reason to create sprouted wheat is indeed enzyme activity- which gets rid of the enzyme inhibitors and makes the grain more easily digested. Baked sprouted grain products are not going to have the enzyme activities that raw or low heated sprouted grains have, and are therefore a definite second place. However, most people grew up on white flour and packaged foods. Transitioning to whole foods and then to mucusless foods is tough because what are we going to do for that birthday cake!? :) So, sprouting grain, dehydrating it, and then grinding it up into a flour to be baked as "normal" is far better than white flour and is also better than grinding the whole wheat fresh (remember sprouting changes the gluten and vitamin content in the grains too). So to answer your question about using an oven, go ahead and do it on your lowest heat (you don't want to be cooking the grain) and prop the door open a little bit. Then give it a try. Your grain won't be raw, but it should work for baking cookies...
I do have a dehydrator, so I don't use the oven method, but I do know some people do.

As an aside, I know there is a difference because flour and flour products will make me feel arthritic but sprouted grain, even baked, doesn't have the same effect on me. :)

Amber said...

How do you grind your dried wheat sprouts? Mine seem to gum up the grinder, maybe I have sprouted them too long before drying them? Also, I have tried adding some of the ground sprouts to my regular whole wheat bread recipe, but it just ends up gummy. Do you know how the Ezekiel brand bread company is able to get such nice loaves and tortillas with sprouted grains?

Thanks!

Raspberry Leaf said...

I use my vitamix. You must make sure that your grain is thoroughly dry though. I have no idea how Ezekiel makes their's... One of these days I will attempt to make some bread, but for now my cakes, cookies, and muffins work pretty well.