Thursday, February 10, 2011

New Recipe! Healthy Creamy Yummy soup

I make a lot of soups in the winter. They are easy, they taste yummy, and they are good for you!

The other day, we had several family members who were down with a minor cold. So minor that they had some sniffles but were mostly doing well. I made a big pot of Onion Soup like I often do when people are not 100% in my home. Because I have small children who don't think onion soup is the best food in the world- even though it is rather mild and definitely sweet, it is onion soup! I diverged a little at the step where you add water. Instead, I set the onions aside and gently sauteed some more onions, added in some cubed potatoes and carrots and water and simmered until the potatoes were tender. I then put the onion soup onions into my vitamix with some of the hot water and blended them up with a handful of cashews (soaked almonds would also work). I added in some Balti curry seasoning from Penzeys. I poured the blended onion soup with curry seasoning back into the pot and added some cut broccoli. I brought to a simmer until the broccoli was done and served. My family devoured it. I was quite happy because my family got really good nutrition including the super healing onion soup and the kids were happy because they didn't have to eat onion soup for dinner! ;)

No comments: