Monday, March 21, 2011

A few more questions...

1. What is the BEST herbal medicine bible? If you can only afford one resource or have limited space at home?
I think it depends on what you want. If you want a book that specifies an herb and what it is used for then there are quite a few. My favorite is The School of Natural Healing. It is expensive but comprehensive. It can be overwhelming to a beginner though. For just starting out, Dr. Mom's Healthy Living is excellent for inspiring the reader to plug along, talks about diet, and common issues that come up in the home so it is a good first aid type book. So, I say that would be my first choice. Those are the 2 books I reach for ALL the time. After studying for many years, I do head to the School of Natural Healing book (I also have the book on CD so I can search on my computer) more often, but I consult Dr. Mom for her opinion quite frequently.

2.What would be a good remedy for eyes with a yellow hue versus those with white hue?
Eyes with a yellow hue are often a symptom of a toxic liver. I would get on a mucusless diet (fresh fruits and veggies, sprouted grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes) and avoid the chemicals in "foods" as well as do an extended herbal cleanse which is explained here. I would also eat dandelion to support the liver.

3.What is your daily herbal intake regime? Daily infusion intake, capsules, etc for normal health maintenance.
I am a busy mom of 4 kids. This daily regiment changes based on needs but what doesn't change is diet. When ever I stop to eat sugar or dairy or flour and flour products- I notice I don't feel as well and I get sick easier. For normal maintenance, I believe in keeping it simple- eat your fruits and veggies and they will cleanse and nourish your body! Red raspberry leaf tea is a good idea every day for all women, and if life is stressful or I haven't eaten as well, I am sure to get my Vitalherbs but other than a green smoothie each morning with some Organa minerals, I keep it very simple. When I was pregnant with my last child, I did the apple cider vinegar and molasses each morning with some Vitalherbs and for a while I took the cayenne each day. I also drank raspberry leaf tea each day.

4. What are your top 5 WILD herbs for your medicinal pantry? (nettle, dandelion, etc)
So many grow locally that it is hard to pick... Comfrey, Dandelion, Chickweed, Plantain, and Nettles were the first 5 that came to mind, probably because they all took up residence in my yard! If I could pick a few more, I would add in the blackberries because they can be used much like raspberry for bowel issues etc, elderberry, mullein, yarrow, red clover are a few more I like that are local.

No comments: