Thursday, July 3, 2008

I love weeds and other commonly discarded greens

Yesterday I went with my family to the local CSA we belong to. I love going to the farm each week to get fresh picked organic local produce. Our CSA has a u-pick field of greens and, later in the season, flowers, basil, and other herbs. Every week, throughout the summer, I go pick my greens for green smoothies and I pause to pick some weeds. Most people would just toss them aside, but I select the best weeds to bring home and eat. Yesterday, like most weeks, the weed of choice is chickweed. We use it in our green smoothies for its high nutrient content. I will also be making some chickweed salve to add to my first aid kit in case of skin irritation while we are camping or around the house. I will have to take some pictures of chickweed to post.

Today I made basil pestoand added an equal amount of chickweed to stretch the pesto. I couldn't tell that it wasn't 100% basil on the quinoa and veggies. Actually, I think I liked it better than straight pesto.

For breakfast this morning, I used the carrot tops in my green smoothie. I added in some frozen peaches, cherries, 1 lemon with just the yellow peeled off (it was not organic), 1 T flax seeds, organa minerals, and a dash of agave. It was yummy! Carrot tops are full of chlorophyll. According to the book Green For Life, they are also very high in Calcium, even higher than the carrots.

2 comments:

Marnie said...

I plan to dedicate some spots in my yard for "weeds." Good job with the green smoothies. I need to change my diet. Thanks for sharing your blog.

marnie
form the naturalldsmoms gorup.

Mrs. Thoughtskoto said...

just dropping by your blog! very informative, I'll look forward to your posts. We've already added you to our blogsite.