Friday, July 25, 2008

Plantain and Chickweed Strike again!!!

So, 2 weeks ago I started the oil of chickweed and an oil of plantain. I didn't have any time on Wednesday or Thursday to do anything with the oil so I let it macerate a few days longer. Today, a friend came over with her son who was covered in hives. He had used some fresh plantain on some of the hives and it gave relief of itching and took away the angry look of most the hives. However, she didn't have access to loads of plantain for the hives to continue applying it and she was growing weary of giving him Benadryl which wasn't really working very well. When she got to my home, it occurred to me that the plantain oil was ready to press out and make into salve. I told her if she stuck around, I would make some up for her.

Earlier this morning, I had gotten out The School of Natural Healing and looked up hives. Dr. Christopher recommended chickweed for the hives. So, we made a salve of 50% chickweed and 50% plantain. I measured 2 ounces of each oil (total 4 ounces) and then 1/4 ounce of beeswax. I just melted the beeswax in a stainless steel saucepan and then added the oils. Adding the oils caused some of the beeswax to clump up again, so we stirred until thoroughly mixed and melted but not hot on low heat. We sterilized a jar and then, after the mixture was finished, we poured it into the jar and let it cool. Then we capped it. The tiny bit left in the bottom of the pot was rubbed all over the hives and they too began to cool. The salve we created with smooth, applied well, and didn't have a goopy consistency. It is a little thin for "packing" but it is fabulous for massaging into something. To thicken the salve, add a little more beeswax.

No comments: